How to Install packages with slapt-get or gslapt in BackTrack 3

Once BackTrack is installed on the harddrive, open the menu and goto K -> BackTrack -> Penetration -> Fast Track
type:
./fast-track.py -i
snapshot
Enter the Fast-Track updates menu (1).
Update everything (9).
snapshot1

After the update finishes, select the Installation menu (8).
Install everything (8).
Go back to the Installation menu, select Install Slapt-Get (1)
Install Slapt-Get (2), then select update SlackWare (1).
Exit (10)

Now, you can use slapt-get to install packages from the slackware repositories. For example, if you want to install mozilla-thunderbird:
Make sure it exists in the repositories:
slapt-get --search thunderbird
if you find it, use the install parameter to install:
slapt-get --install mozilla-thunderbird-2.0.0.21-i686-1

snapshot2

you can also use the gui front-end for slapt-get, but it is broken by default in BT3. so let’s reinstall it:
slapt-get --install --reinstall gslapt

9 Responses to “How to Install packages with slapt-get or gslapt in BackTrack 3”

1. […] How to install Mozilla Thunderbird and Opera browser in Backtrack 3 21 04 2009 Check my previous post on how to install slapt-get in BackTrack 3. […]

2. […] will guide you through the process of adding a new […]

3. How I Lost Thirty Pounds in Thirty Days says:

Hi, nice post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for posting. I will definitely be subscribing to your posts.

4. JustJeff says:

Hello … Seems that Fast-Track has removed the Install slapt-get menu option. Do you have a work-around for Backtrack 4beta+…?

Thanks,

5. HydTech says:

havent tried BT4 yet. I’ll look into it when its officially released

6. tyler says:

hey, how do i install javascript for backtrack 3.

7. Kj3k53 says:

just enable it globally in NoScript

8. jay says:

slapt-get –install –reinstall gslapt when I try this line of code I get an error “Reading Package Lists… Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    x11 gdk-pixbuf libpng slapt-get gslapt
    0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 18MB of archives.
    After unpacking 55MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2/ x11 6.8.2-i486-3 [17MB]…Failed to download: Server denied you to change to the given directory ” and nothing happens.

Can you help me?