Instructions for Ubuntu:
Yesterday I noticed that the menu on my OpenOffice had some weird characters. I finally figured out that some of the system fonts in Ubuntu are not compatible with OO. I managed to change the fonts back by going to System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts. But it was too late. During the process I upgraded, uninstalled the whole program and reinstalled it back again. For this process, I used synaptic package manager to find everything that said openoffice and marked it for complete removal.
I could have also opened up terminal and typed:
sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.*
Then, I went to openoffice.org and downloaded the .deb file for 3.0.1 (OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz) and extracted it to the desktop. Then I typed:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/*.deb
dpkg is a tool to install, build, remove and manage Debian GNU/Linux packages. The -i option is used to install a file or in this case, several files. We selected *.deb which means select all the files with a .deb extension and install them. We could have alternatively double clicked each .deb package and installed it separately, but the command line is a much more powerful option.
Next, to install the last package stored in a different folder, I typed:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb
I believe I could have used the –recursive or -R option and specified the directory, which would have installed all the packages in the folder including all the sub-folders.
That’s all it took.
Instructions for Fedora and openSuse:
Goto openoffice.org and Download the rpm in tar.gz format onto the Desktop
open up terminal, become root and untar the file:
tar -xvf /home/black/Desktop/OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz
cd into the directory:
follow install directions: