Tag Archives: ubuntu

Gnome Display Manager problems (error setting mtrr) in Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10

Last night I spent a lot of time trying to get my Gnome Display manager to work in Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10. Alot of people are having a hard time with the display after upgrading from Hardy 8.04 to Intrepid 8.10.
Every time I try to shutdown the system, I get an error about “error setting MTRR”. These are the steps I took to fix the issue.

*IMPORTANT*- before doing any troubleshooting with X, I recommend backing up the xorg configuration file.
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /home/user/Desktop/xorg.conf.old

I tried clearing out the /proc/mtrr and rewriting it by using the following commands:

echo "disable=0" >| /proc/mtrr
echo "disable=1" >| /proc/mtrr
echo "disable=0" >| /proc/mtrr

and inserting

echo "base=0x00000000 size= type=write-back" >| /proc/mtrr

check here for more help.

Still no luck.

Tired and frustrated, I decided to reinstall

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gdm, nautlius, ubuntu-desktop, x-gnome-session, xserver-xorg

I finally did:
sudo update-alternatives --configure x-session-manager
More on update-alternatives here.

Searching on the web, I found this on bugs.launchpad.net

I had this problem exactly as described in the original report, after an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10.

I eventually tracked it down to a dangling link from /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager. It was pointing to a nonexistent KDE4 startkde script, which presumably used to exist in 8.04. I had never actually used KDE4 seriously, but I must have installed it at some point in the old system and run it before reverting to gnome. I guess that means the old KDE4 start script was equally capable of restoring a gnome session, or something.

Anyway, “sudo update-alternatives –auto x-session-manager” seems to fix it.

(The workaround described in an earlier comment, of explicitly running the GNOME session type, also worked. But I wanted to find a fix that would work for the X client script option as well, because I was also trying to investigate the session script to work out why my session was not being restored properly. Unfortunately, then I ran into bug 249373, “gnome session does not restore the previous session” — which answers that one. I would never have upgraded to 8.10 if I had known about that absolutely amazing regression. But that’s another matter.)


After all that, I replaced my backup xorg.conf file
sudo cp /home/user/Desktop/xorg.conf.old /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Restarted the system, and now its working fine!

How to fresh install OpenOffice 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, 9.04 Jaunty, Fedora 10 and openSuse 11

Instructions for Ubuntu:

Yesterday I noticed that the menu on my OpenOffice had some weird characters. I finally figured out that some of the system fonts in Ubuntu are not compatible with OO. I managed to change the fonts back by going to System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts. But it was too late. During the process I upgraded, uninstalled the whole program and reinstalled it back again. For this process, I used synaptic package manager to find everything that said openoffice and marked it for complete removal.

remove OpenOffice

I could have also opened up terminal and typed:
sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.*

Then, I went to openoffice.org and downloaded the .deb file for 3.0.1 (OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz) and extracted it to the desktop. Then I typed:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/*.deb

dpkg is a tool to install, build, remove and manage Debian GNU/Linux packages. The -i option is used to install a file or in this case, several files. We selected *.deb which means select all the files with a .deb extension and install them. We could have alternatively double clicked each .deb package and installed it separately, but the command line is a much more powerful option.

Next, to install the last package stored in a different folder, I typed:
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9376_all.deb

I believe I could have used the –recursive or -R option and specified the directory, which would have installed all the packages in the folder including all the sub-folders.

That’s all it took.

Instructions for Fedora and openSuse:

Goto openoffice.org and Download the rpm in tar.gz format onto the Desktop

open up terminal, become root and untar the file:
(enter password)
tar -xvf /home/black/Desktop/OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz

cd into the directory:
cd OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379/
follow install directions:



Yatta !